Some lab studies have indicated that pomegranate fruit is active against prostate cancer. Unfortunately, three separate patient studies have shown only minor activity in the form of “slowing down of PSA rise”
So “Eat fresh fruit or Drink fresh juice” if you relish it like any other fruit or juice. If there is any effect on prostate cancer, it would be unexpected bonus. But don’t compel yourself to eat or drink it for therapeutic benefit !
Bear in mind that the pomegranate juice or fruit can interfere with some other medications. And I will also state the obvious that “pomegranate is not an approved cancer treatment”.
Links for further reading:
1. Daily Mail. Pomegranate juice ‘can help fight prostate cancer’. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-393368/Pomegranate-juice-help-fight-prostate-cancer.html
2. Guardian: Consider the pomegranate. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/feb/01/consider-pomegranate
3.Phase II study of pomegranate juice for men with rising prostate-specific antigen following surgery or radiation for prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res. Jul 1 2006;12(13):4018-4026.
4. A randomized phase II study of pomegranate extract for men with rising PSA following initial therapy for localized prostate cancer.Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2013 Mar;16(1):50-5.
5. A double-blind, placebo-controlled randomised trial evaluating the effect of a polyphenol-rich whole food supplement on PSA progression in men with prostate cancer—the U.K. NCRN Pomi-T study. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2014 Jun;17(2):180-6.
6. Is pomegranate juice a potential perpetrator of clinical drug-drug interactions? Review of the in vitro, preclinical and clinical evidence. Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet. 2013 Dec;38(4):223-9. doi: 10.1007/s13318-013-0137-x.